Many homeowners make the decision to downsize. Often times, a large living area is no longer needed once the children have grown or many are planning for retirement and want to find a home where they can live in comfortably without having to move again.
For those who plan on purchasing a home to stay in for the years to come need to think about a few important factors:
1. Floor plan: A ranch style home that offers main level living will probably be more accommodating than a floor plan with many stairs. Individuals who experience knee replacements, arthritis, use a walker, or a wheelchair may be hindered by too many stairs. A floor plan with enough space and privacy for guests who visit is a factor for some as well. The property type is another decision to make. Some favor living in a single family home while others may prefer a patio home, condo, or independent senior living community.
2. Yard size: A large yard will require more maintenance and will be a factor for buyers who do not want to deal with yard work in the years to come. Conversely, it can be a positive for buyers who enjoy spending time in the garden. Some may even consider a Xeriscaped yard for easy maintenance and a lower water bill. For those who yard without having to do the work may prefer living in a home where the exterior is maintained by the local HOA.
3. Modifications: Some homes are easier to modify than others. Seniors may want to add grab bars, ramps, or other modifications that are necessary. The size of rooms is also important; homes with narrow hallways or small bathrooms may not meet the needs of some buyers.
4. Location: Seniors may want to live in a home that is conveniently located near family, friends, activities, church, and shopping centers. Living in a neighborhood near parks, trails, a golf course, or a Recreation Center could be another factor. This may be a time when many make the decision to move to another state closer to loved ones.
5. Amenities: If you don’t plan on moving to another home in the future, why not buy a home with a few things you have always wanted in a dream home? Privacy, a gourmet kitchen, radiant floor heating, theater room, wine cellar, lighting system, workshop, or master suite may be a few of the wants on your list.
For further information on available Homes in Colorado Springs contact your Colorado Springs Real Estate Agent, Patricia Beck.