Call Me Today: 719-660-9058

Section 8 Housing in Colorado Springs

By in Colorado Springs Homes

For questions about Section 8, please contact the Housing Authority directly:
831 S Nevada Ave Colorado Springs, CO 80903 (719) 387-6700

Section 8 housing is a federal government program that provides the opportunity for low-income families to live in housing that would not be able to afford it otherwise.The waiting list

for Section 8 is actually a two year waiting period in the city of Colorado Springs .  There are a couple of ways to be bumped up in the list but only in specific situations.  Please read some of the frequently asked questions regarding Section 8 below.  If you have any further questions about Section 8, please contact the Housing Authority directly:
831 S Nevada Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
(719) 387-6700

Q:  How do I apply for Section 8 Housing?

A:  You need to go to the Housing Authority of Colorado Springs which is located off of 831 South Nevada (Inside the Lowell Elementary School Building on the 2nd floor) to fill out an application.  According to their website, they are not accepting new applicants at this time.  If you are involved with the Department of Human Services (DHS), speak with your caseworker for more details about the waiting list.

Q:  What is a Housing Voucher?

A:  When you are accepted into the program, you will receive a housing voucher.  The housing voucher enables you to receive rent assistance in a home or apartment in the private market.  You will receive rental assistance up to the specified amount you are given by the housing authority.

Q:  Does everyone in the community have or accept Section 8 housing?

A:  No.

Q:  How do I find out which apartments or homes take Section 8?

A:  There are a few ways to find out:

1.) You can check for rental properties in the Colorado Springs area that work with Section 8 on the Housing Authority’s website.

2.) There are binders located at the Housing Authority of Colorado Springs with available housing around the Colorado Springs area.  You will probably find more properties in the binders than online because some of the landlords do not post online.

3.) If you find a rental property you like while driving around town, just give the landlord or Property Management Company a call and ask if they work with Section 8 tenants.

Q:  Once I find a property, do I need to do anything else before signing the lease?

A:  You need to notify the Housing Authority and an inspection will have to take place before you sign the lease.  The purpose of the inspection is to ensure the property is safe, sanitary, and habitable.  If the property does not pass inspection, the Housing Authority will not approve the property and you will have to look elsewhere.  If it passes inspection and you live there for more than one year, the property will be inspected each year by the Housing Authority.

Q: How is my rent paid to the landlord?

A:  You pay the rent portion that is your responsibility (30% of your adjusted gross income) each month to the landlord and the Housing Authority will pay the remaining portion for you each month by sending it directly to the landlord.

For the details and guidelines regarding your Section 8 housing, check with your counselor at the Housing Authority.  Follow the guidelines so you can maintain your housing assistance!

For further information on available Real Estate in Colorado Springs contact your Colorado Springs Realtor, Patricia Beck.

Share This